[pgrouting-users] Data prep questions

Charles Galpin cgalpin at lhsw.com
Fri Feb 19 09:33:15 EST 2010

Hi All

I am trying to use pgrouting with navteq streets data (NJ, USA) imported from shape files. I am not getting good results and believe it might be due to the way the data is setup.

Do the start and end points of the geometry need to be oriented the same way? For example if you had 3 sequential segments A,B,C does it have to  look like this

x1,y1 ---- A ---- x2,y2 == x1,y1 ---- B ---- x2,y2 == x1,y1 ---- C ---- x2,y2

Or could it be something like this and still work properly for example?

x1,y1 ---- A ---- x2,y2 ==  x2,y2 ---- B ----  x1,y1 == x1,y1 ---- C ---- x2,y2

The reason I ask is because the navteq segments can be this second case because of the way the data is structured and I need to know if I should try and rectify this.

thanks,
charles