[pgrouting-users] Shortest Route Search Not Working

Daniel Kastl daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Sat Jul 17 00:58:37 EDT 2010

> I hope you don't mind helping me with another couple short questions:
> 1. Projection 4326 with latlng is lot easier for me to work with. Although
> there are ways to convert the latlng to 900913 projection, I was wondering
> how would I be able to directly use 4326 and run search on it (HTML
> changes), assuming that the tiles were generated with 900913 projection and
> the routing database is set to 4326?

You can use Postgis "transform()" function to do this:
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ST_Transform.html

> 2. Just out of curiosity.
> The routing results usually take residential route ways, instead of taking
> instead of taking highway streets (which is more like what results from
> Google Maps show). Any ideas why the difference?

pgRouting gives you the "shortest" path and it's up to you to define what is
"shortest". Easiest is to take length as cost, but if you take time as cost,
then shortest will be the fastest. You could for example define some speed
for your road classes, and if the speed is higher on highways it will prefer
the highway like Google Maps does.

Daniel