[pgrouting-users] Motion for Project Steering Commitee and call for participation

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Sat Mar 6 10:30:46 EST 2010

Hi pgRouting list members,

Exactly two weeks have passed since my previous email and I got positive
feedback from the following people:

   - Frederic Junod (Camptocamp)
   - Stephen Woodbridge (Imaptools)
   - Venkatesh Raghavan (Osaka City University)
   - Kai Behncke (FOSSGIS e.V) ... who was crazy busy with FOSSGIS, but I
   hope I understood you right, didn't I?

I also would like to add Christian Gonzales, who was very interested in
joining pgRouting last year and then started pgRoute project. We had some
discussion about collaboration the last days, because there is a lot of
overlapping between the two projects.

I added a Project Steering Committee Guideline to the wiki as a proposal:
http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/PSC

Jeff McKenna pointed me to the Mapserver RFC, which seemed to be more
compact and understandable than the referenced GRASS document of the last
email. (Also GEOS project uses the same PSC template btw.)
I made very small changes like replacing project names and links and
extended the voting period to four days for example. I also added the
possible list of initial PSC members and I would propose Anton Patrushev as
the initial Chair of the PSC.

If you have any comments, objections or questions, please ask!
If you changed your mind and don't feel like you want to join the PSC
(anymore), or if you want to join now or want to propose someone else,
you're welcome.
Please speak up, if you haven't done so yet!

I think the PSC document in the wiki explains quite well, what a PSC is for
and why it makes sense to have one.
IMO there is one very urgent task for a new PSC, which is to decide a new
release based on the current SVN trunk version. Because the current
pgRouting version 1.03 doesn't work anymore with the next GIS LiveDVD (with
new PostgreSQL/PostGIS) and they don't like to checkout certain revision
numbers ;-)
I think, there is a lot more to discuss and to decide, but it should be done
more open and transparent and by the community instead of informal decisions
from desk to desk.

Best regards,
Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de