[pgrouting-users] PSC - what next?

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Mar 29 08:16:17 EDT 2010

Hi Stephen and others,

Sorry for the late answer, but I was "offline" for a few days ;-)

First some updates on the designated initial PSC members, who are right now:

   - Anton Patrushev
   - Christian Gonzalez
   - Ema Miyawaki
   - Frédéric Junod
   - Stephen Woodbridge
   - Venkatesh Raghavan

Also updated on the wiki http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/PSC
There I removed the paragraph about IRC as well. (
http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/PSC?action=history)

I didn't read yet the details about OpenLayers or Mapserver PSC process. Is
there any important difference? Any advantage of one of them?

In my opinion we could get started like this:

(1) CONFIRM INITIAL PSC

   - I would like to hear from each PSC member on this list what they think
   about the PSC guideline and if they are (still) willing to join (at least a
   +1 would be nice ;-)
   - ... and if anyone wants to submit objections please do it now!

(2) MAILING LIST(s)

   - Create a "pgrouting-dev" mailing list for further discussion and also
   for PSC votes (I don't think we need another mailing list for PSC)
   - Personally I would like to move mailing lists to lists.osgeo.org,
   because it takes responability for mainteneance from Orkney and I know that
   it was tricky to setup for the specific environment. Nevetheless it should
   be possible to copy the existing archive of "pgrouting-users" to the new
   place.

(3) 1.04 RELEASE
As some warming up the new PSC could vote for a bugfix release. For this
release I wouldn't follow something like the OpenLayers release process yet,
because I think "trunk" has been tested now for more than a year ;-)

(4) SVN REPOSITORY

   - Install "Submin" to administer user accounts (very convenient tool)
   - Discuss repository structure and access rights
   - Discuss about the pgRouting "tools" (I'm not so happy with the current
   structure)
   - Move ot OSGeo infrastructore or not? Maybe pgRouting project can run on
   some dedicated virtual server, that more people can have access to.

(5) TRAC

   - From time to time TRAC spam is quite annoying. Find a solution for
   this.
   - Discussion/Forum is quite popular and more used than mailing lists from
   users, but automatic notification doesn't work (anymore)
   - Not sure if we could keep Discussion/Forum extension on OSGeo server
   - Not sure how difficult moving TRAC would be
   - TRAC is not good in multilingual support (for example Redmine does much
   better and also provides subprojects). Is everyone happy with TRAC?
   - Move to OSGeo infrastructore or not? Maybe pgRouting project can run on
   some dedicated virtual server, that more people can have access to.

(6) WRITE RFC(s)
I think for discussions about new development, roadmap, documentation, etc.
we should then use the pgrouting-dev mailing list and write RFC's as Stephen
proposed.

Any thoughts?

Daniel

2010/3/24 Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>

> Hi guys,
>
> What is next toward forming a PSC?
> Are we ready to a vote to confirm the PSC members?
> The PSC then needs to adopt some process maybe modeled after the
> Mapserver or maybe the OpenLayers process.
>
> Do we have any developers that are willing to invest time in this?
> Like for a point release?
> Adding any new features?
>
> I only ask, because if not, it seems senseless to create a PSC if there
> is not work that is going to get done.
>
> Regards,
>   -Steve
>
> PS: here is the OpenLayers release process
> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/Procedure

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany