[pgrouting-users] PSC - what next?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Mar 29 16:40:14 EDT 2010

Daniel Kastl wrote:
> Hi Stephen and others,
>
> Sorry for the late answer, but I was "offline" for a few days ;-)
>
> First some updates on the designated initial PSC members, who are right now:
>
>     * Anton Patrushev
>     * Christian Gonzalez
>     * Ema Miyawaki
>     * Frédéric Junod
>     * Stephen Woodbridge
>     * Venkatesh Raghavan
>
> Also updated on the wiki http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/PSC
> There I removed the paragraph about IRC as well.
> (http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/PSC?action=history)

I will note that in other PSC, proposals are submitted for comment by
all, but voting is based on PSC membership. I think it is important to
get community input and to keep them informed, but voting is about
moving the project forward regardless. We can grow the PSC as needed and
as new developers start contributing and making a significant impact. If
anyone on the list can veto an action then you run the possibility of
getting bogged down. You need leadership not design by committee. My 2
cents anyway. I will support whatever. I also think the PSC needs to
listen to the community or they will loose them, but the PSC is in
theory more aware of the technical challenges and issues.

> I didn't read yet the details about OpenLayers or Mapserver PSC process.
> Is there any important difference? Any advantage of one of them?

I think you will find them both to be very similar. No advantages that
I'm aware of.

> In my opinion we could get started like this:
>
> (1) CONFIRM INITIAL PSC
>
>     * I would like to hear from each PSC member on this list what they
>       think about the PSC guideline and if they are (still) willing to
>       join (at least a +1 would be nice ;-)
>     * ... and if anyone wants to submit objections please do it now!

I'll start with a +1. I think the key is to get it going and we can fine
tune it as time goes by.

> (2) MAILING LIST(s)
>
>     * Create a "pgrouting-dev" mailing list for further discussion and
>       also for PSC votes (I don't think we need another mailing list for
>       PSC)

Agreed.

>     * Personally I would like to move mailing lists to lists.osgeo.org
>       <http://lists.osgeo.org>, because it takes responability for
>       mainteneance from Orkney and I know that it was tricky to setup
>       for the specific environment. Nevetheless it should be possible to
>       copy the existing archive of "pgrouting-users" to the new place.

Agreed.

> (3) 1.04 RELEASE
> As some warming up the new PSC could vote for a bugfix release. For this
> release I wouldn't follow something like the OpenLayers release process
> yet, because I think "trunk" has been tested now for more than a year ;-)

Consider the fact that community members often only work with a released
version and that is all the goes into OS package releases. So the only
people that have tried trunk are those that need it for a specific bug
they have hit or those that are knowledgeable enough to muck with the code.

That said, the process would be cut a RC-1 and put it out for N weeks
and if not issues then cut 1.04.

> (4) SVN REPOSITORY
>
>     * Install "Submin" to administer user accounts (very convenient tool)
>     * Discuss repository structure and access rights
>     * Discuss about the pgRouting "tools" (I'm not so happy with the
>       current structure)
>     * Move ot OSGeo infrastructore or not? Maybe pgRouting project can
>       run on some dedicated virtual server, that more people can have
>       access to.

I think I might start with OSGeo infrastructure. You might want to
discss that with Frank W. Another alternative is using source forge. I'm
sure there are others also as you mentioned.

> (5) TRAC
>
>     *  From time to time TRAC spam is quite annoying. Find a solution
>       for this.
>     * Discussion/Forum is quite popular and more used than mailing lists
>       from users, but automatic notification doesn't work (anymore)
>     * Not sure if we could keep Discussion/Forum extension on OSGeo server
>     * Not sure how difficult moving TRAC would be
>     * TRAC is not good in multilingual support (for example Redmine does
>       much better and also provides subprojects). Is everyone happy with
>       TRAC?
>     * Move to OSGeo infrastructore or not? Maybe pgRouting project can
>       run on some dedicated virtual server, that more people can have
>       access to.

OSGeo supports Trac and SVN. I think that multilingual documentation is
more important than Trac. Mapserver keeps its docs in REST (restructured
text) format which is easily readable as text, but can be formated
through templates into HTML, PDF, and a lot of other formats. All docs
are kep in SVN like:

woodbri at carto:/u/software/mapserver-SVN$ ls docs
conf.py  de  en  labels.py  make.bat  Makefile  _static  _templates

So the initial docs go into en for English and then anyone can clone the
docs into a new language and translate them. You can use "svn diff" to
see how and when the en docs changes so you know what needs to be
updated in the other languages.

> (6) WRITE RFC(s)
> I think for discussions about new development, roadmap, documentation,
> etc. we should then use the pgrouting-dev mailing list and write RFC's
> as Stephen proposed.
>
> Any thoughts?

+1 to get going :)