[pgrouting-users] What is the architecture of pgRouting and how can I make it work faster?

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Aug 3 22:13:39 EDT 2011

> This is really not many ways. It should be a lot faster.
>>

>>    - Did you check your tables have indices?
>>

> All the tables have indices. Are there any special requirements to
> particular tables to have indices?

It's good to have indices for attributes you use in your select. For
example, if you select by bounding box, you should have an index on your
geometry column.

>> The bottleneck is the number of ways you select from the table.
>> You can improve your speed by selecting less road links.
>>

> I am sorry, but I don't really understand what 'road links' mean in
> pgRouting parlance. There are vertices which are built from OSM nodes, there
> are ways which are extracted from OSM multi-line ways. How road links are
> represented and in which table?

The vertices table is only a temporary table which is not used for
pgRouting. It's used for building the topology.
The relevant table is "ways" of geometry type LINESTRING (or
MULTILINESTRING). These are road segments, which some people call "edge",
some "link".

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de