[pgrouting-users] Looking for map matching software

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue May 10 10:31:55 EDT 2011

The problem with just snapping points to the network, is that it does
not take into account the underlying topology of the network or the fact
that snapping to the nearest segment may not be the right choice 5 or 10
samples in the future. Think about the problem of a long exit ramp
paralleling a highway. You may not be certain if you are on the highway
or the ramp until there is a significant deviation from your assumed
path by the future tracking of the GPS points.

My end result needs to be a valid and probable path that the vehicle
traveled. There will be potential errors with respect to the actual path
traveled when there are multiple equally valid solutions, but the
computed path needs to be reasonable and drivable with respect to the
underlying network topology.

Thanks,
   -Steve