[pgrouting-users] Newbie: point_to_id and very large tiger_2010 tables

Dan Putler putler at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 17:40:05 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,

Not a direct answer, but I assume you are using the TIGER/Line all lines shapefiles to start with. One question is have you taken out all the non-street edges? If you haven't you can greatly reduce the size of table you are working with, so you may be able to use a more direct approach. A second question is are you going to use this for local or for long distance routing as well? The TIGER road network is not designed for routing (it would have z values in addition to x and y values if it was). As a result, there are "intersections" in the TIGER data that are really over/under passes, to say nothing of one-way streets that aren't identified. For routing over very small areas, this isn't fatal, but things get funny as the size of the area increases.

Dan

Dan