[pgrouting-users] Possible to use pgrouting for "layered" data?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Sep 27 11:36:36 EDT 2011

On 9/27/2011 3:50 AM, Gunnar Rangøy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am considering to use pgrouting for routing in layered data. By
> layered data i mean data that is separated in floors, which are in some
> points connected via elevators/stairs between the floors.
>
> As far as I can see, this is not directly supported. Is it done any
> assumptions/choices which makes such an difficult/impossible to
> implement? How well will it work to just add connections between nodes
> in same floor (+elevators)?

Hello Gunnar,

I can not think of any reason that we can not route this kind of data.
The issue will be that you need to separate the nodes one different
floors with a z-value and add an appropriate cost for elevators and
stairs. elevators need to include some queue time for the elevator to
arrive and then some travel time. For stairs you might want to set
different costs for going up vs down.

Otherwise it should be totally doable.