[pgrouting-users] Possible to use pgrouting for "layered" data?

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue Sep 27 21:56:58 EDT 2011

You can try it out here: http://plan.epfl.ch/
The "campus routing" also allows to set "disabled" flag for those, who can't
use stairs for example.
I think the application is a bit difficult to use if you don't know room
numbers. You can input the building ID for example, but this obviously won't
route you between floors.

In general pgRouting can handle different levels when you model your network
right.
You need to add links between the different levels and assign costs.

Daniel

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Mario Basa <mario.basa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The original pgRouting, pgDijkstra, was created for a Swiss university
> campus to show the path from one classroom to another in different
> buildings.
>
> So, this is definitely possible.
>
> Mario.
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> > On 9/27/2011 3:50 AM, Gunnar Rangøy wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am considering to use pgrouting for routing in layered data. By
> >> layered data i mean data that is separated in floors, which are in some
> >> points connected via elevators/stairs between the floors.
> >>
> >> As far as I can see, this is not directly supported. Is it done any
> >> assumptions/choices which makes such an difficult/impossible to
> >> implement? How well will it work to just add connections between nodes
> >> in same floor (+elevators)?
> >
> > Hello Gunnar,
> >
> > I can not think of any reason that we can not route this kind of data.
> The
> > issue will be that you need to separate the nodes one different floors
> with
> > a z-value and add an appropriate cost for elevators and stairs. elevators
> > need to include some queue time for the elevator to arrive and then some
> > travel time. For stairs you might want to set different costs for going
> up
> > vs down.
> >
> > Otherwise it should be totally doable.
> >
> > -Steve