[pgrouting-users] pgRouting in the cloud?

James David Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:45:07 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that recently Amazon Web Services offer PostgreSQL as a
cloud database solution. I don't have much experience with this sort
of thing, but I'm wondering whether to look into it as 1) it seems
very reasonably priced and I'm sure it will be quicker than running it
on my local machine 2) It will also ensure that regular back-ups are
automatically taken 3) I would like to learn PHP soon and presume I
would be able to easily interact with the database.

In summary, I'm considering giving it a go. Two things that I am wary
of however, were that I need my PostgreSQL database to have GIS
(PostGIS) and routing (pgRouting) capabilities. It seems from the
guide here that PostGIS will be relatively easy to install by simply
following the instructions:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.0/instpostgis/Tutorial_How_To_Install_PostGIS_in_a_Cloud_Database_Cluster.htm

But I am less sure about pgRouting. There aren't any guides that I can
find. Is someone with more expertise than me able to comment on how I
might go about this please? If it is even possible?

Thanks

James