[pgrouting-users] Implementation of Driving Distance Function

Matthew Baker mattbaker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:53:26 PDT 2014

Hi all,

During the day I wear my Denver Public Schools hat, and have been
spreading the good word of SQL Spatial, specifically ST_Distance, to our
analysts here with much relief and excitement. They are database users,
not "GIS" users, so the ability to simply add a distance query to their
existing (and complex) enterprise queries brings huge power to our
analysis, and of course is very intuitive.

Additionally, I've been spreading the word of the concept of
/'/distance/along the network'/ (ie. driving distance or pgr_kDijkstra
algorithms in pgRouting) as they apply to routing kids to their closest
school by program type, grade, etc... which brings an equal or greater
level of excitement from our analysts...

Distance along a network as a SQL spatial function has huge potential in
the way we assign kids to a school, as the system of polygon
'boundaries' is becoming more and more scrutinized as a solution whose
time has almost come to an end.

My question is - and see the recent posts below on GIS.SE on this
subject - *how can the driving distance functions be implemented in the
same way that ST_Distance works*... ie, I have a table of points
(student households), and 2nd a list of points (schools), and want to
determine the students closest school (including other attribute filters
such as program type, etc.).

GIS.SE / recent questions:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/110716/nearest-facility-with-pgrouting

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/110838/how-to-calculate-the-shortest-distance-for-multiple-source-and-targets-using-pgr

Many thanks for any insight / thoughts / suggestions!

-m

Matthew Baker
Denver Public Schools
Department of Planning and Analysis