[pgrouting-users] Newbie pgr_dijkstra performance question

Andrew Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 07:45:10 PST 2014

Hi there,

I have been looking at pgrouting in the past week, and have a test
installation using the following:

Win7 64bit on an i7 processor with 8Gb RAM
Postgres 9.2.4 64bit
Postgis 2.0.3-2 64bit
pgrouting 2.0 64bit

My test dataset is the Ordnance Survey Meridian roads dataset for Great
Britain which has ~1.2 million edges.

I can successfully use the pgr_dijkstra function to generate routing,
but the performance seems a little slow. My test route takes around 10
seconds to return in pgAdminIII, and so my first question is whether
this is about what I should be expecting. I am not pre-filtering the
ways being passed to pgr_dijkstra using a bounding box or such like

The second question is that whilst exploring the performance, I removed
the indexes that pgr_createtopology had built on the source and target
fields of the road data. To my surprise, this had no effect whatsoever
on the performance of pgr_dijkstra, and after rebuilding them and
looking at the index stats in pgAdminIII, this is reporting no usage of
the indexes at all (I did rerun some routing queries after rebuilding
the indexes!). Again, is this expected? It seems to contradict the
recommendation to build the indexes in the pgr workshop:
http://workshop.pgrouting.org/chapters/topology.html#add-indices

Any thoughts appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy