[pgrouting-users] Problem with CREATE EXTENSION pgrouting;

René Fournier m5 at renefournier.com
Wed Jul 16 13:25:05 PDT 2014

So, I already had postgis extension installed in the postgres database.

postgres=# SELECT postgis_full_version();
NOTICE:  Function postgis_topology_scripts_installed() not found. Is topology support enabled and topology.sql installed?
                                                                postgis_full_version
 POSTGIS="2.1.2 r12389" GEOS="3.4.2-CAPI-1.8.2 r3921" PROJ="Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March 2012" GDAL="GDAL 1.11.0, released 2014/04/16" LIBXML="2.9.1" RASTER
(1 row)

Plus, I installed pgrouting:

postgres=# create extension postgis from unpackaged;
ERROR:  extension "postgis" already exists
postgres=# select * from pgr_version();
 version |       tag       | build |  hash   | branch | boost
---------+-----------------+-------+---------+--------+--------
 2.0.0   | pgrouting-2.0.0 | 0     | f26831f | master | 1.55.0
(1 row)

The problem seems to be, that when I change to mydb, postgis is available, but pgrouting is not—and when I try to create the extension in mydb, pgrouting complains that postgis is not there… but it is clearly accessible.

postgres=# \c mydb
You are now connected to database "mydb" as user "postgres".
mydb=# SELECT postgis_full_version();
NOTICE:  Function postgis_gdal_version() not found.  Is raster support enabled and rtpostgis.sql installed?
NOTICE:  Function postgis_topology_scripts_installed() not found. Is topology support enabled and topology.sql installed?
NOTICE:  Function postgis_raster_scripts_installed() not found. Is raster support enabled and rtpostgis.sql installed?
NOTICE:  Function postgis_raster_lib_version() not found. Is raster support enabled and rtpostgis.sql installed?
                                                               postgis_full_version
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 POSTGIS="2.1.2 r12389" GEOS="3.4.2-CAPI-1.8.2 r3921" PROJ="Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March 2012" LIBXML="2.9.1" (core procs from "2.1.1 r12113" need upgrade)
(1 row)

mydb=# select * from pgr_version();
ERROR:  function pgr_version() does not exist
LINE 1: select * from pgr_version();
                      ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
mydb=# create extension postgis from unpackaged;
ERROR:  type "raster" does not exist
mydb=#

Now, I’m pretty sure the problems I’m having are simply the result of not understanding how/where extensions are created and accessible by individual databases. (So, sorry for the silly questions.)

…Rene