[pgrouting-users] Is this a known problem with tools for solving it or am I on my own?

Greg Stark stark at mit.edu
Thu Aug 18 11:33:24 PDT 2016

I have a set of points distributed throughout the 32 counties of
Ireland. I want to to plot the quickest route that hits one of the
points for each county.

If I had only one point per county it would just be the traveling
salesperson problem for a fairly trivial problem size. But having more
than one point per county makes it a different problem I think and in
fact that's where the numbers get large. I can pare down the points
per county using other heuristics but the more I pare it down the more
the path may be suboptimal so I don't want to exclude more points than
I have to and there are thousands of points for most of the counties.

Is there an existing tool that would do this or should I try to modify
pg_tsp to handle this or is this a lost cause?

Thanks.

--
greg