[Portugal] What's Coming in PostGIS 2.0

Hugo Martins hfpmartins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 10:30:45 EDT 2011

  Sent to you by Hugo Martins via Google Reader: What's Coming in
PostGIS 2.0 via Slashgeo.org by Satri on 4/8/11

If I'm not mistaken, we mentioned only once the upcoming PostGIS 2.0 in
the past. Via Kurt, I learned about this excellent article on what's
coming in PostGIS 2.0.

 From the article: "This 2.0 release is poised to be an important
milestone not just for speed and stability reasons, but because it
extends the database into three new areas: raster data, topology, and
3D. [...] With 2.0, its [PostGIS Raster] functionality will be fully
integrated into the main application. Naturally, loading and exporting
is not the real work of supporting raster images in addition to
vectors, so PostGIS 2.0 adds a slew of functions for analyzing and
operating on the data inside the pixels. [...] PostGIS 2.0 adds
extensive support for 3D, starting with two geometry types: polygonal
surfaces and triangular irregular networks (TINs). [...] In addition to
the new geometry types, the existing spatial indices have been made
3D-aware, and a library of 3D-functions added. [...] The last major
extension of PostGIS functionality in the 2.0 release is support for
topology."
You are not watching this post, click to start watching
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Slashgeo.org using Google Reader
favorite sites