[Portugal] IIT benchmarks Oracle Spatial vs PostGIS

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi faunalia.pt
Quinta-Feira, 23 de Fevereiro de 2012 - 04:24:00 EST

http://t.co/xkSfQGbP

""...From the experimental results that we saw, we can conclude that
Postgres performs better than Oracle 11g
both in the Cold Phase and Warm Phase. Though in few queries Oracle 11g
performed better but on the
whole Postgres overpowered Oracle 11g. In the warm phase in 3 out of 4
queries Postgres performed
significantly well, from this we can conclude that Postgres has better
automatic memory management
capabilities and page replacement policies. May be Oracle 11g needs more
tuning to perform better. And
also in the Cold Phase, Postgres performs significantly well except in
few cases such as in the Adjacency
Operation (TOUCH). Since Postgres uses the underlying GEOS(Geometry
Engine - Open Source) library
functions for implementing the geometric operations whereas Oracle 11g
implements them on its own, and
since in majority Postgres performs well, we can conclude that GEOS
geometric algorithms are more
efficiently designed than Oracle 11g. And also Postgres planner is more
efficiently designed to take
advantage of any available indexes to use in queries for achieving
better performance whereas in Oracle
11g we saw that we have to specify them explicitly through functions. On
the whole it is the open-source
that wins the game!..."