[postgis-devel] collect() and geom_union()

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Nov 4 09:13:28 PST 2003

pramsey wrote:
> strk wrote:
> > Ok, since nobody answered calls about them,
> > I'll consider current behaviour accepted.
> >
> > ... dust has been posed ...
> >
> > That said - as suggested by Paul I'll rename collect() to
> > mem_collect() and will add new fastcollect() to postgis enabler
> > script with the name collect(). Then I'll add fastunion()
> > aggregate as geom_union() and rename unite() aggregate to
> > mem_geom_union().
>
> Could you please enumerate all the names for "things that union",
> existing and proposed, so we can see the whole namespace at once?

EXISTING IN CURRENT CVS SQL ENABLER:

a) geometry GeomUnion(geometry, geometry); -- function
b) geometry Unite(geomerty set);           -- dumb (memory saving)
                                              aggregate

PROPOSED THINGS:

A) geometry GeomUnion(geometry, geometry); -- (a) untouched
B) geometry MemGeomUnion(geometry set);    -- (b) renamed
C) geometry GeomUnion(geometry set);       -- fast (memory consuming)
                                              aggregate somebody knows
                                              this as fastunion()

PS: there is also a: geometry geometry_union(geometry, geometry)
    listed in section "7.2 RTREE support functions", but what
    it does is actually a box3d union.