[postgis-devel] EWKB proposal for OGC

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Dec 29 00:12:50 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 01:45:09AM +0900, Paul Selormey wrote:
> Unfortunately, the 99-402r2 is not yet available to some of us
> the non-OGC members, and therefore commenting on these extensions
> may not be right.

Martin Daly sent that document as an attachent on this list:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2004-December/000695.html

> I have just these:
> 1. You have used "misure" in the documents, do you mean "measure"?

Yes, corrected.

> 2. I wish the presence of the SRID in the geometry WKT is a suffix, since
>    it can be considered optional and should not break existing codes:
>    "POINT(1 2);SRID=4326"

It *is* optional (meaning undefined SRID, -1 for postgis).
Would existing code work with POINTM(1 2 3) or POINT(1 2 3 4) ?
Also, EWKB will also probably break existing code, any existing
case of compatibility ?

> BTW, any plan to define WTK for triangle, rectangle, circle and other
> geometries defined in GML 3.x?

Not that I'm aware of.
--strk;