[postgis-devel] RE: getrelid && list_nth

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 01:39:26 PDT 2004

Hi strk,

FYI the List API has recently changed in PostgreSQL 7.5 which is
probably why this has broken - please see the following links:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-05/msg00344.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-05/msg00376.php

and the thread here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-05/msg00500.php

> To fix this I've copied list_nth and list_nth_cell into
> postgis_estimate.c removing superflous ( I hope ) checks on
> boundaries.

Yuck. I don't think we should be duplicating the PostgreSQL list API
just because the API has changed between versions. Any chance you could
look at the posted patch and correct CVS so that this is not needed?

> Now estimation selectivity is back up and runnign for PG75
>
> Still... any stable utility interface would be appreciated.

BTW did you find that building large GiST indices crashes PostgreSQL?
Since the GiST API has changed you will probably need to apply my "super
patch" in order to get things working correctly as the problem wasn't
just a Win32 issue (see
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2004-May/004918.h
tml)

Would any developers object if the "super patch" for 7.5 were to be
applied to CVS? If no-one objects I'd like to apply it real soon....

Cheers,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.