[postgis-devel] WKB type

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Sep 10 09:46:34 PDT 2004

It's not like people are getting wkb slung at them by accident though...
they have to ask for it with AsBinary, so presumably they should know
that the bytea they are receiving is not an MP3 file but is in fact GIS
data. The reason I like bytea as a return type for AsBinary is that all
the other PostgreSQL infrastructure can pass it by default, and even
have some special handling for it, whereas custom types need special
help. If we want to pass things which are known and tagged as
geometries, the new canonical form is a great thing, if we want a
standardized bucket of bytes, the AsBinary function returns that as a
bytea...