[postgis-devel] Improved autoconf scripts (was: autoconf paths)

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Apr 18 07:45:36 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:10:57PM +0200, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Strk,
>
> strk at refractions.net schrieb:
> >I'm not sure we should keep relying on pgsql layout, although
> >your solution is viable. Actually I was thinking that allowing
> >storage of extension lib itself in a postgis-specific directory
> >would permit using different postgis versions for different
> >databases of the same cluster (does it make any sense?).
>
> Yes, it does make sense, it is what I do on my developer machines all
> day. :-)

You mean you keep postgis libraries in different directories ?
Note that HWGEOM/LWGEOM parallel runs are guaranteed by the fact
that library name changed...

> Sometimes, it is not possible to migrate one database to a new postgis
> version because the app is incompatible, but another app that uses a
> different database relies on the new features.
>
> So I think the most flexible may be to use the output of "pg_config
> --configure" by default, but allow both overriding individual parameters
> via --docdir, --bindir etc. or using --prefix to have everything bundled
> together in $PREFIX/bin, $PREFIX/lib etc. However, I think this may make
> the configuring process too complex.

I've committed the initial autoconf support in the HEAD branch.
I didn't implement pg_config --configure yet, so you'd better
use a --prefix or postgis installation will get spread around
/usr/local/* dirs...

--strk;