[postgis-devel] Installation Paths

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Dec 21 00:34:30 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 04:00:03AM +0200, alex bodnaru wrote:

> strk,
>
> all i wanted, is to do thing as automated as possible, intelligently
> piggy-backing on pg_config:
>
> docdir from pg_config is sometimes /usr/share/doc, and sometimes
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc(-x.y)?.
> as i think, postgis would deserve it's own doc dir, especially on
> systems with several postgresql installed, i would suggest
> /usr/share/doc/postgis(-doc)?.
> thus, i just wanted to strip the postgresql.* part of the name, so that
> postgis would receive it's separate directory.
> postgis(-doc)? should be appended in configure.in or doc/Makefile.

I'm not convinced we should assume that much.
PostgreSQL docs could as well be in /var/www/postgresql-doc/8.0.0 ...

> BTW: doc/Makefile is again unconsistent between install-uninstall.

Really? Please show me... I read:

----8<------------------------------------------------------

install: html/postgis.html man/shp2pgsql.1 man/pgsql2shp.1
        @mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/postgis
        @mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1
        $(INSTALL_DATA) html/postgis.html $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/postgis/postgis.html
        $(INSTALL_DATA) ../README.postgis $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/postgis/README.postgis
        $(INSTALL_DATA) man/pgsql2shp.1 $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1/pgsql2shp.1
        $(INSTALL_DATA) man/shp2pgsql.1 $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1/shp2pgsql.1

uninstall:
        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/postgis/postgis.html
        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(docdir)/postgis/README.postgis
        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1/shp2pgsql.1
        rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(mandir)/man1/pgsql2shp.1

----8<------------------------------------------------------

> on the other hand, datadir from pg_config is
> /usr/share/postgresql(/x.y)?/, and contrib scripts live in a contrib
> subdir of that.
> current configure.in is appending postgresql/contrib, and the postgresql
> subdir is redundant.

This would be an attempt of making the piggy-backing approach
reflect old postgis layout, is it different from 1.0.x ?

Basically I think postgis should use its own layout (this is
what happen when using --prefix). Omitting --prefix uses
the old layout (the piggy-backing one used in pre 1.1).
In any case specific flags would override path.

So, any piggy-backing related path should be fixed to
old layout (rather then changing between 1.0 and 1.1).
Any inconsistency between install/uninstall should be fixed.
New layout strategies should be discussed for use in the
default --prefix case (like, should postgis/ be appended to
docdir and datadir?).