[postgis-devel] GiST estimate and index_extent()

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Jan 13 03:08:10 PST 2005

Mark,
Paul actually did not express his preference about this, and
actually I'm not convinced as well...
I'm not sure 2 days will be enough, not for the implementation
but for the decisions reguarding backward-compatibility.
If we find a clean solution today I think that would be ok.

We currently have a fix_geometry_columns() which fixes
f_table_schema, attrelid and varattnum.
The function is automatically invoked by AddGeometryColumn()
and update_geometry_stats().

What we could do is drop the automatic invokation and improve
it to drop attrelid, varattnum and stats if present for PG>=800
and to change stats into a stakind1 smalint / stanumbers1 float[]
for PG<800 if stats is present. Note that in this case the HISTOGRAM2D
type would be pretty useless, so we could drop it as well.

About TODOs, running regression tests I found that lwgparser
does not check polygon validity as did HWGEOM do. Maybe that
should be added, but I guess could wait for 1.0 or RC2.

Comments ?