[geos-devel] Re: [postgis-devel] Cube Indexes

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Aug 31 16:02:44 PDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:17:28AM -0400, Carl Anderson wrote:
> I have been playing with
> GEOS  (cvs) 3.0.0 and PostGIS 1.1.3
> and I know that I am a bit ahead of the game.
>
> Things look much, much better on the numeric stability front
>
> On a few rare cases I have found that an exception was bleeding into
> PostGIS from GEOS
> from the postgresql log
>
>       SELECT: ../source/headers/geos/noding/SegmentString.h:167: void
> geos::noding::SegmentString::testInvariant() const: Assertion
> `pts->size() == npts' failed
> LOG:  server process (PID 11575) was terminated by signal 6

This is a really interesting bug. It shows a memory corruption
so it's really worth tracking. The best way is producing
an XML test able to reproduce the problem with the smallest
geometry set. Can you provide one ? If not I'm still interested
in a bigger testcase.

Note that this is *not* an exception, but an assertion specifically
inserted to catch bugs in code (as opposed to in user input).