[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.1.7

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Dec 13 05:46:28 PST 2006

Hello Mark,

Mark Leslie <mark at refractions.net> wrote:

> The spec can be downloaded from www.iso.org for the low low price of CHF340.
> For this release, GEOS doesn't handle them.  The next release should
> provide the ability to convert the curves into linestrings, pass them to
> geos functions, then reclaim the curves once returned.

How do you intend to implement that mapping?

And how does "reclaim the curves" work when the linestring was
processed (intersected etc.) in GEOS?

I ask that because I have the same problem for my PostGIS JTS mappings
(JDBC and PlJava).

> Eventually GEOS will be upgraded to support them properly.

So GEOS will finally fork from JTS?

> As for the WKT/WKB, full parsing support isn't there yet.

What's missing there?

> I will update
> the SERIALIZED_FORM doc, and include some examples in the postgis.xml,
> but it won't be fully filled out until I have the time to implement it
> properly.

The SERIALIZED_FORM describes the on-disk format, which is distinct
from EWKT and EWKB (which are documented in docs/ZMSgeoms.txt).

Both will need to be updated (the first one for PlJava and other
procedural language mappings and custom C code extensions, the second
one for JDBC mapping, python geotypes, GDAL, and all other client
writers.)

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org