[postgis-devel] KML from PostGIS patch

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Dec 18 09:49:20 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:21:10AM -0600, Eduin Carrillo wrote:

> > 2) A test case would help making sure it works now and it will keep working
> > in the future.
> >
> I'm working on that but I haven't found useful information. A "how to document"
> will be appreciated.

How to write a testcase you mean ?
Well, yes, regress/README seems to contain info about a really different
(and not-more-needed) thing. Any volunteer willing to spend some words on
adding testcases (should be really simple actually).

> > 3) Documentation only contains AsKML(geometry, [precision]), but I read in
> > the sql file
> >    about a "version" parameter and an asUKML variant. What are them ?
>
> I just follow the AsGML way of a third parameter for future changes on next
> versions of KML specs. However, geometry in kml involves three aditional values
> related to how GE displays 3D data: extrude,tessellate and altitudeMode. That
> third (and eventually a fourth parameter) can be used to define the behaviour
> when 3dz or 3dm geometry is passed. All suggestions are welcomed.

I'm not a KML user so dunno, just wondered why the third parameter was there.
Maybe, if you want to support complex configuration, a varchar would be better
then an integer ?

> AsUKML is the primary function that returns the KML "untransformed". As Google
> Earth only understand WGS84 data (srid=4326), I don't know if somebody will
> find it useful. What do you think?

Did you profile asUKML vs. asKML when input is already in 4326 ?