[postgis-users] Re: [postgis-devel] PostGIS Fedora Core and Red Hat RPMs

Devrim GUNDUZ devrim at commandprompt.com
Thu Jan 5 16:24:48 PST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Silke Reimer wrote:

> It seems that we are beginning to duplicate effort on postgis
> packaging, since I packaged postgis 1.0 on Fedora Core as well (see my
> announcements from September and Oktober [1] and [2]). Maybe I
> oversaw your work on the package at that time though I researched the
> current situation.

Let me explain the current status: I have talked with Paul and Strk some
time ago and they granted me a CVS access for RPM stuff. This is my paid
community work so I try to build fine packages ;)

So duplicating is an issue; however we are not doing the same work.

> My intention is to get postgis into Fedora Extra so that it will be
> shipped with the official Fedora in midterm or even with RHES in a
> more longer timescale. So I announced my package for package review
> in the Fedora Extra bugtracker [3].

That's really an excellent news. However, distro packaging and community
packaging are not the same. As you know, Red Hat / Fedore Core includes
PostgreSQL packages; however we build community RPMs also. For example,
this helps people to keep up2date...

> What do you think on working together on such a package? Whether we
> take your or mine package as starting point is not important for me.
> I just want to avoid duplicate effort.

I'd be more than happy to work together. So let's continue offlist. We can
build similar packages so that upgrading will not be a pain.

Regards