[postgis-devel] Comparing Mysql Spatial extension with postgis

Jim C. Nasby decibel at decibel.org
Thu May 11 16:46:25 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:11:32PM -0400, Parang Saraf wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am relatively new in this field. I am designing a database to store the
> events extracted from the oceans. This project later demands of publishing
> data on web. I am not able to decide which database to use. Mysql with
> spatial extension or the postgis one. I would prefer to use windows
> platform.
>

> Can someone suggest or can provide me with some links that compare the two
> databases.
> Also it would be great if i can get the limitations of the postgis.

I can't speak directly for PostGIS, but
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html is well worth reading, much of
which still applies in 5.0. Also, having recently seen some
presentations on how to do things like backups in MySQL, they seem to
have the philosophy that regularly taking the database down for several
hours to take a backup is perfectly fine; not exactly the type of
attitude I'd trust my data to...

On the flipside, windows support is pretty new in PostgreSQL, so you
could run into some bugs, especially if you start pushing the
performance envelope.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel at decibel.org