[postgis-devel] Xing Lin's SoC project (raster support)

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 07:55:53 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:
> Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but if Oracle saw it
> that way, they probably wouldn't have patented the GeoRaster model.
> Much of the PDF presented comes right out of here:
>
> http://oraclesvca2.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/appdev.101/b10827/
> geor_intro.htm#CHDDIDAF

I will bring this up with Xing.

> And the model itself is patented:
>
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=C-1-AAAAEBAJ&dq=georaster

That's clearly a no go.

> There's no way PostGIS could accept a raster design on the basis of
> this submission, an original or at least unencumbered approach is
> required.

Seems the shortest path is to add a single type to postgis that
represents a raster tile (if I remember, something like that may
already exist). Tiles would act as square polygons from postgis'
perspective ie would use the same gist indexing and so on. Existing
functions like intersect would act on the polygon bounding box. A
loader/dumper could easily be put together based on GDAL.

For raster/vector ops, perhaps the simplest thing (except maybe doing
this externally) would be to explode the tiles as postgis points and
use existing functions. (Sounds slow, but might work and I suppose
some way to bundle the results back into an output tile would be
needed.) This would not be needed initially but would be nice to have.

THK