[postgis-devel] Moving towards a 1.2.2 release?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 11:13:33 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 09:58 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Agreed, 100%.  I don't really see why anything for template_gis needs to
> be or should be done during build but even beyond that it didn't appear
> to be respecting $DESTDIR properly for some reason.  For those reasons I
> removed it from the build for the Debian PostGIS 1.2.1 packages.  I'm
> also not at all convinced it should even be a part of the main PostGIS
> distribution...

Well last time the subject came up, Paul and I both thought that a
simple shell script should do the trick to install all the PostGIS
definitions into a "template_postgis" database that can be run after
"make install" (the windows version already does this). This is so FDO
providers can create data sources using a simple CREATE DATABASE
command, which I think will be a useful feature - but the existing code
is just too Debian-ized for the rest of the world, trying to run dpkg
for example...

> Also, the 'extras/debian' directory should be removed, it's horribly
> outdated, wrong and obsolete.

Okay... does anyone else have any comments on whether they really want
to keep this?

Kind regards,

Mark.

--