[postgis-devel] Moving towards a 1.2.2 release?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Jun 4 04:25:38 PDT 2007

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but thought I would give my vote
on the topic.  I agree with Paul that it should be in all distributions.
Its much easier to explain to newbies, which I deal with often to just
use the template_postgis database to create a spatial database or should
they screw up create another one.

Otherwise my instructions sound like but if you are on debian or blah
blah blah do this or use this special setup package to create.  I mean
if they are going to enable postgis functionality in a database after
they setup a database, they are still going to have to have some clue
where the lwpostgis.sql file is (or at least on windows they do) if they
don't have a template database with all that functionality to copy from.

 Lets not forget that most of us started out as newbies and we don't
want to scare away a potential crowd of users (and potential
contributors) by making the system any more difficult to get up and
running with than it needs to be.

Just my 2 cents,
Regina