[postgis-devel] WKB conversion

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:41:55 PDT 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> Possibly dumb question.  In inspecting the postgis code base.  I am
> noticing a few functions restated one
> version for if  WKB_CONVERSION and one for If not.  For example I was
> looking at the PostGIS2GEOS  functions to try to understand what
> exactly those do when I came across these fraternal twins.
>
> Looking thru the code base, I can't see where WKB_CONVERSION is ever
> set or if this is just a hold-over from prior times.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina
>
> * The substance of this message, including any attachments, may be
> confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure
> pursuant to Massachusetts law. It is intended solely for the
> addressee. If you received this in error, please contact the sender
> and delete the material from any computer. *
>
> * Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist
> printing this email and join us in saving paper. *
>
> * *
>
> * *

This is from ancient memory, but I think that's the flag to control how
we translate between formats.  This is legacy from the jts connector,
and allows us to perform the format conversion either properly, or by
converting first to WKB and then to the JTS or GEOS or PostGIS format
using each products standard WKB parser.  It was (marginally) more
reliable in the JTS connector, but with a significant performance hit.

--
Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com