[postgis-devel] PostGIS documentation on refractions.net website

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Jul 3 06:49:25 PDT 2008

>Hi there,

> Given that there have been some changes to the configure options in
SVN,
> I'd like to propose a change in the website documentation process.
> Currently SVN HEAD is extracted and built on postgis.refractions.net,
> but since many people refer to this directly online I can see this
being
> a source of confusion.

Yes even confusing to me when I'm looking for something of a particular
version.

> What I think would be a good solution would be the following:
> - Generate 1.3 series documentation @
> http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/1.3/ from the SVN 1.3 branch

> - Generate 1.4 series documentation @
> http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/1.4/ from SVN HEAD

> - Alias http://postgis.refractions.net/docs onto the 1.3 series
> documentation which represents the current latest release.

(Well I think the http://postgis.refractions.net/docs  should point at
the latest tagged release.  Even the 1.3 is a moving target.  For
example we have GeoJSON support in 1.3.4 SVN we don't have in regular
1.3 so I think people may be scratching their heads if they see a
function like that and think "What's wrong with my install - why am I
missing this great function?" )

On a side note - what is the current state of the doc build process?  I
haven't seen any of my new additions to the docs on the site, so I was
afraid maybe I did something to break the build.

Thanks,
Regina