[postgis-devel] 1.3.3

Ben Jubb benjubb at refractions.net
Fri Mar 28 16:53:53 PDT 2008

Howdy,
In my testing, I did see a performance hit when using the memcmp test,
although it was noticable only in the largest of my test geometries
(5000 vertices or so).
The three parameter form seemed like the best way to go because the
whole point of the prepared version of the functions was to get the best
possible performance.  The cases when the performance matters most is
with large geoms, and then the cost of doing the memcmp is the highest.
Using a third argument seemed the simplest way to get the best possible
performance from the predicates, with a minimal increase in the
complexity of the interface.
I agree it would be nice to have a single form for those predicates that
automatically determines the most efficient manner to do the tests, but
there didn't seem to be any efficient way to accomplish that.