[postgis-devel] Recheck Considered Harmful (or, at least, Slow)

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 02:42:59 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> A quick hack on LWGEOM_overlap to also use slicing takes the time for
> my standard test case down further, from 4.9s to 3.7s.
>
> So, to recap:
>
> - old code, no prepare: 40s
> - add prepared geom: 8s
> - gist_consistent uses sliced detoast: 4.9s
> - lwgeom_overlap uses sliced detoast: 3.7s
>
> So, need to research a bit more into when bboxes are materialized, and
> what cases would cause double de-toasting. I like your easy fix to the
> point case, David.
>
> P.

Given that you've managed to make great strides in this area already,
would it be possible to move this development just to SVN trunk? I'd
really like to hope that 1.3.4 is last release in the 1.3 series, and
I'm a little nervous about making changes to one of the core operators
this close to a release. I think people would be more than happy with
the improvements you've already made :)

ATB,

Mark.

--