[postgis-devel] 1.3.4?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Sep 30 12:04:44 PDT 2008

 Mark,
> Also we should alter the st_unite_garray function so that aggregates
> just ignore nulls. Let's see what results of the ST_Equals()
discussion
> separately ;)

I think we can drop the ST_Equals discussion and replace that with =
discussion.

Whether = should just return false if SRIDs are different rather than
blow up.
Personally - I would just prefer it return false.  Its just a
rule-of-thumb check anyway so I don't see the harm in that and would
allow for unioning of geometries with different SRIDs.

I disagree with Kevin that relational unioning of geometries is the same
as

trying to union a boolean with 1.  To me its more like char()  vs.
varchar vs. varchar(20)

Then again maybe we should just leave this for 1.4.

st_unite_garray is just used for ST_Union so would not solve the issue
with the other
aggregates we have and stuffing the same code in all the garray
functions sounds kind of unappealing.  If we all agree that aggregates
should not deal with nulls then that seems to me like not the right
place to put it.

 Think it belongs in LWGEOM_accum which we had considered getting rid of
and replacing with array_append anyway.  So since all this is iffy - I
think we may want to think about this a bit more.

Thanks,
Regina