[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.4 and PostgreSQL 8.4

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Aug 5 23:42:57 PDT 2009

Dave,

Both should work fine.  The version we compiled was the newest libiconv2,
but we tested the shp2pgsql with the old version and the new and it seemed
to work fine for us in either case and didn't notice any issues with the
PostgreSQL behavior we have.

So I think you are fine sticking with what is packaged with the PostgreSQL
8.4 if its got the same name.

The installation issues discussed before were caused because PostGIS install
tried to overwrite the libiconv-2.dll which was already present in
PostgreSQL installs so the solution has always been to just skip it if you
have it.  Although in my PostgreSQL 8.4 install for some reason the file
that I got when installing was libiconv.dll (which is the same as
libiconv-2.dll more or less), but PostGIS the way it is compiled needs it to
be called libiconv-2.dll

Mark correct me if anything I send is wrong.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____