[postgis-devel] trunk regress fails - PostgreSQL Minimumversion?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Aug 12 16:01:31 PDT 2009

Paul,
> I think you guys are pretty harsh. However, since I've built an 8.3
dependency into 1.5 I guess I am in favor.

I was thinking it was kind of harsh, but then again I was thinking how many
people running 8.2 who plan to upgrade to 1.5 do not plan to upgrade their
PostgreSQL soon?

and if they don't, this will give them a good reason to as I think 1.5 will
be a really great release.

--As a side note --  Its too bad its only in 8.5 they are finally
implementing IF EXISTS.  that would make some of our upgrade pains much
easier in the future.

So I guess my point is it seems more cost efficient to take advantage of
improved changes in PostgreSQL (not going too far of course), at the cost
not supporting older PostgreSQL versions and as a compromise spend the
additional energy supporting the older PostGIS versions a bit longer than we
have been.

Who knows we may not even support the older versions that much as I feel
that PostgreSQL is really picking up steam now so that a larger part of our
user base will be running the newer versions.

Thanks,
Regina