[postgis-devel] Shapefile to PostGIS Importer

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Dec 22 04:48:22 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I'm not actually that wedded to not changing the loader/dumper
> mid-stream. It's not something that other system components depend
> upon, unlike SQL signatures and so on, so I think we can reasonably
> work on that part of the code base pretty agressively.

Yeah, I agree with that. As long as the interface is reasonably
intuitive then I don't feel that we need to freeze it as such.

> Another piece that needs work is a GUI take on the dumper, in
> particular one that takes a table as as commandline parameter (I'm
> thinking here of what running within at PgAdmin plugin context would
> look like.

Indeed. A refactoring in a similar manner to shp2pgsql would be great
here, since it abstracts out all the hard stuff to the core and so frees
people to write up different wrappers as required.

> For 2.0 I'd like to look at swapping to another widget set. QT or
> WxWindows. I'm not so impressed with how well GTK+ is being maintained
> on non-Linux hosts.

+1. I'd vote for wxWidgets, for the simple fact that as Regina
mentioned, it's the same toolkit used by pgAdmin.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk