[postgis-devel] Several problems with shapeloader GUI

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Thu Dec 24 16:29:37 PST 2009

Hallo

I have not tried the shapeloader GUI before because of the compiling problems in windows.
Now I tried it.
It looks great, but I had some problems.

Just before I sent this I found that the result was very different when running as standalone see bottom of mail

1) If I change SRID from -1 to 32633 I get following error:
Connection: user=postgres password=postgres port=5433 host=localhost dbname=pg15
Destination: public.vegen
Source File: D:\Askprosjekt\vegen
Shapefile type: Arc
Postgis type: LINESTRING[2]
Invalid SRID for geography type: 7f79
Shapefile import failed.

I have not asked for geography and not checked it or changed anything else under options.
I see if I try SRID -1 too, that it asks for values in long lat range.

2) If I get any error, for instance the above, when I open dialog for choosing shapefile it doesn't filter for shapefiles anymore and shows all files.

3) If I try to load with srid -1 it totally flips. The progress bar seems to extend the window of the loader GUI out to the left as showed in attached picture.

4) As seen on the picture there is also some error happening probably because the shapefile already contains a gid column.

Environment is
windows XP
postgresql 8.4.2
postgis is the experimental build from 23 dec
ran loader GUI as plugin to pgAdmin. Getting connection properties automatically worked perfect :-)

When I tried as standalone it worked very good. The only thing that seems unstable in standalone is that when first file is loaded the shape file filter doesn't work when I open the file dialog for the next file.

I haven't done those tests very thoroughly so I can have missunderstood something, but this was what I got.

/Nicklas