[postgis-devel] Issue 110 in postgis: shp2pgsql new option to not batch commit

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun Feb 1 09:50:53 PST 2009

Owner: robe.... at cityofboston.gov
Labels: Type-Enhancement Milestone-1.4

New issue 110 by robe.... at cityofboston.gov: shp2pgsql new option to not
batch commit
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=110

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. If you have some geometries that fail insert such as polygons without
closed rings, it kills the current batch and gives a more or less
meaningless message
2. This has happened to me a lot and a lot of users we train.  A lot of the
time the data should just rightfully not be added.
3. Write now to overcome this I generate a .sql file and use sed to remove
the begin commits which means I can't use the normal | to directly load

I think the simplest option is to allow users with a flag to have the
option to not have begin commits so that everything is in its own
transaction.  That way at least a whole batch of good records aren't lost
because of one bad apple.

I know we have talked about other options such as allowing these beasts
into the database or nulling the geometry if invalid etc -- though those
options are trickier to implement and may not handle all cases.