[postgis-devel] License

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Feb 4 18:58:11 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Obe, Regina <robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov> wrote:
> So I guess my biggest gripe is the GPL licensing, but that is more of a
> personal dislike that I can learn to live with.

The only problem that the GPL has caused us to date, as far as I can
tell, is precisely this one. It has foreclosed our ability to merge
into the mainline, due to license conflict. Otherwise, the number of
practical problems have been pretty minimal. Even folks like
EnterpriseDB have been able to include PostGIS in their packages, via
optional install.