[postgis-devel] about serialized form

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Feb 26 07:37:16 PST 2009

Current form is good for size, but any read of coordinates requires
memcpy'ing the information into an aligned space. And profiling
PostGIS, one now finds that much of our CPU time is spent in memcpy.
Reading directly from the unaligned serialized form is not possible on
architectures like Sparc, though it does work on x86. So for
performance reasons, having an aligned structure would be nice.