[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Why having to compile PostgreSQL & PostGIS first?

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Sat Feb 28 07:48:28 PST 2009

Hi all,

Here we go...

As a newcomer I really don't like the idea of having to compile
PostgreSQL & PostGIS before starting working on WKT Raster (I start it
today!). I already have a production PostgreSQL/PostGIS installed on my
machine and I need it. I don't necessarily want to have to work with my
own (maybe unstable) development version of PostgreSQL/PostGIS. I would
prefer having only to install PostgreSQL & PostGIS and compile WKT
Raster over them. This would reduce the number of dependencies, make
starting developement much faster and would not unstabilize my
installation. Bonus: We would be sure that WKT Raster works fine on the
released version of PostgreSQL & PostGIS.

So what would you think about archiving the necessary (good win32 &
linux versions) prebuilt PostgreSQL & PostGIS libraries in the WKT
Raster source tree instead of compiling all the world? What are the pros
and cons?

I used to do this in another project with a lot of dependencies and it
worked great.

I'm working on Windows by the way.

Pierre