[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Why having to compile PostgreSQL & PostGIS first?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Feb 28 08:02:33 PST 2009

Pierre Racine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here we go...
>
> As a newcomer I really don't like the idea of having to compile
> PostgreSQL & PostGIS before starting working on WKT Raster (I start it
> today!). I already have a production PostgreSQL/PostGIS installed on my
> machine and I need it. I don't necessarily want to have to work with my
> own (maybe unstable) development version of PostgreSQL/PostGIS. I would
> prefer having only to install PostgreSQL & PostGIS and compile WKT
> Raster over them. This would reduce the number of dependencies, make
> starting developement much faster and would not unstabilize my
> installation. Bonus: We would be sure that WKT Raster works fine on the
> released version of PostgreSQL & PostGIS.
>
> So what would you think about archiving the necessary (good win32 &
> linux versions) prebuilt PostgreSQL & PostGIS libraries in the WKT
> Raster source tree instead of compiling all the world? What are the pros
> and cons?
>
> I used to do this in another project with a lot of dependencies and it
> worked great.

Pierre,

I think it would be nice to offer a postgres/postgis binaries devel package
for win32 that would make it easier for people to get up and running with
a particular "standard" version of postgres.

However, I don't particularly think this should live in svn and I also think
it will be a hassle to maintain as people are working with different versions
of postgres, postgis and so forth.

I think it is even less practical on linux where the postgres and postgis
versions are multiplied by a variety of linux variations between which
binary compatability is generally not existing.

Best regards,