[postgis-devel] RFC: PostGIS 1.4 timeframe

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 02:39:17 PST 2009

Hi folks,

I'm getting to point where I'd like to think about setting a release
roadmap for 1.4 in order to get this code out in the open.

Reasons for pushing out a 1.4 sooner:

- 1.3.5 seems to be a relatively stable release; there are only a couple
of fixes in 1.3 branch and so we can push out a 1.3.6 with reasonable
amount of confidence. I know I'd much rather see Paul's recent new work
in a 1.4 rather than having to backport it and support in 1.3 aswell -
especially as we've promised not to break APIs on point releases :D

- No more endless backporting to 1.3 branch. Nuff said. The 1.4 code has
been a lot longer in development than expected.

- As a developer, the tools for debugging and tracing bugs are a league
above anything in 1.3 branch. I really would prefer never to have to
track obscure bugs in the 1.3 branch ever again.

- Even with the new code/APIs in 1.4 (particularly in relation to the
parser), we can still emulate the old behaviour and then move forward
with something better in 1.5. At the very least, the new build system
will get a really good workout.

I'm currently thinking something like a 1.3.6 release with the current
fixes released around February, with a 1.4 release appearing a week or
so after the Toronto Code Sprint mid-March.

Thoughts?

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland