[postgis-devel] About the ST_ prefix

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Jan 9 06:14:05 PST 2009

Someone else mentioned this. Yes part of me wishes it wasn't so.

The thinking (who's thinking was this?  Maybe Paul) was that it would be
easier if people didn't have to
worry about putting ST_ or not putting ST_ in front of functions.  also
the functions appear nicely together to compensate for the fact that
we didn't put the functions in a schema.

Having now worked with SQL Server 2008 a bit.  They don't put ST in
front of functions that are obviously not OGC compliant and are their
own creation.
I suspect other spatial databases follow that convention -- of using a
different prefix for their custom things or no prefix at all.

To compensate for this compromise - that may lead people to believe taht
all ST_s are compliant, that is why we have this section

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch08.html#id2665
244

So people who only want to use compliant functions can look at that list
and only use those.