[postgis-devel] WKTRaster: RASTER and CHIP

strk strk at keybit.net
Wed Jan 14 01:36:37 PST 2009

Hello hackers!
You might have read I'm in the process of starting
up with the RASTER type support for postgis.

I'd like to pick your minds about where you think
is more appropriate to develope the new code.

We have the CHIP type which is the closest already
available code to what we need to do in the initial
step. The CHIP functionality isn't documented at all
so maybe there aren't users out there and we could
modify it to add the additional support we need
(multiband, additional pixel types).

The advantage would be we'd already have some
drawing primitives.

Actually I asked if there was any user in 2006 and
got no answer back:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2006-May/002123.html

So, is it ok to you to drop support for CHIP and replace
it with RASTER ? Or do you prefer to see it cohexist ?
Note that RASTER would be a superset of CHIP anyway so if
both exists seems a waste of library size and stored procedures
to me.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!