[postgis-devel] WKTRaster: RASTER and CHIP

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 02:41:08 PST 2009

strk wrote:

> Hello hackers!
> You might have read I'm in the process of starting
> up with the RASTER type support for postgis.
>
> I'd like to pick your minds about where you think
> is more appropriate to develope the new code.
>
> We have the CHIP type which is the closest already
> available code to what we need to do in the initial
> step. The CHIP functionality isn't documented at all
> so maybe there aren't users out there and we could
> modify it to add the additional support we need
> (multiband, additional pixel types).
>
> The advantage would be we'd already have some
> drawing primitives.
>
> Actually I asked if there was any user in 2006 and
> got no answer back:
> http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2006-May/002123.html
>
> So, is it ok to you to drop support for CHIP and replace
> it with RASTER ? Or do you prefer to see it cohexist ?
> Note that RASTER would be a superset of CHIP anyway so if
> both exists seems a waste of library size and stored procedures
> to me.
>
> --strk;

Hi strk,

AIUI from the wiki page at
http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?WKTRasterHomePage,
WKTRaster is being developed/hosted as a completely independent project
with the aim being to merge into PostGIS as a later date - so my take
would be to leave CHIP as it is until the project is stable enough to
merge into PostGIS.

Since it is not mentioned at all in the standard documentation, I doubt
it has that many users but it seems unfair to drop the CHIP support
without having a well-tested replacement. I think that when WKTRaster
puts out its first stable release is the right time to announce the
deprecation of CHIP.

ATB,

Mark.

--